Ruins of the Iglesia de San Juan Bautista
The Iglesia de San Juan Bautista (or Church of St. John the Baptist) became one of the most important Romanesque buildings in Baeza. Its origin dates to the 13th century when Christian temples were built in the city after the Reconquest. The church remained open to worship until 1843. From then on, it suffered an intense spoliation and a progressive deterioration and transformation. In the 20th century, the church was restored with whatever remained and returned to the concept of “original space” consisting of a basilica-like plan with three naves and apses. The remains of its doorway were taken to the other Romanesque church of Santa Cruz, where it is now located. The cult ceased in the middle of the 19th century, and the building took on several uses, all far removed from the original. It has served as a block for the army or a warehouse for building materials… It is another of the city’s scenic and cultural spaces.